Deepak at bbgm and Simon Brocklehurst pointed me to the uproar that scobles post a few months back caused. In his post Robert scoble said search engines like Mahalo and not google are the future of the internet . I am beginning to agree with some of what he said.
I want to explain myself with the following example. I have been reading up a lot on two subjects , one is ffmpeg the open source video and audio library and the other is on “mouse kappa light chain” sequences. In my own search for information on these specialized topics I have probbaly used google only about 20% of the time . The remaining 80% of the time I spent on reading the ffmpeg archives offered up by gmane the open source mailing list search project and my own search within my archived gmail label “ffmpeg”compiled from mailings in the ffmpeg-user newsgroup. Similarly for the mouse infoseek I spent almost no time on google , but instead trolled around the pubmed and ebi databases for all my relevant information.
The 20% google time was spent aggregating my information on google notebook besides doing quick searches on people or paper titles once I found a relevant source to find related content on the web.
All of this had me thinking that say the ffmpeg lead developers or community were to start a specialized manually annotated search repository . I would almost never turn to google for any of that domain information. The same holds true for the mouse sequence search !.
So the bottom line..I can start to see why manually annotated and curated search starts to be a big deal…because we all know that we rarely go beyond the first page for a google search result. The human expert just makes sure that the first page of any search is most likely to be relevant ..no matter what pagerank it has.